Sunday, September 22, 2013

Some thoughts for the #SNAP Challenge

It's a repost... but worth thinking about while doing the #SNAP challenge

Being poor is knowing exactly how much everything costs. Click to read the entire essay!





"Being poor is having to keep buying $800 cars because they’re what you can afford, and then having the cars break down on you..
Being poor is hoping the toothache goes away..."


I found this list a few days ago.  Click on the link above to read the full essay.  It's very relevant to this blog for two reasons.  First of all, it makes me extremely grateful that I have not had to make such personal and difficult choices based on poverty.  Secondly, it reveals a reality which I never want to see (in my own life or those around me). That's motivation to get out of this debt trap and save an emergency fund asap.





I recognize that personal choices get us into many difficult situations in life.  It is easy for me to judge the writer or blame poor decision making for their troubles.  But, honestly, who hasn't made bad decisions?  I've made plenty yet have always had family to depend on.  Some people aren't so blessed.



So, if you do nothing else today, read the above essay.  Think about it. And let me know your thoughts!  Oh, and start saving for that emergency fund!

No comments: