Friday, November 16, 2012

Gifts For The Future: Rethinking Christmas

Ready or not, the holidays are nearly upon us!  I think that the older you get, the faster time flies.  2012 has certainly flown by faster than any year I can remember!
The holidays are a special time.  Families and friends gather to thank God for another year.  Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus, the Savior.  But the end of the year can also be a somber time.  A time of reflection.  
What did I accomplish this year?  
What did I find meaning in?  
What will next year be like? 
What do I want to accomplish next year?  
But don't let the past and the future be overwhelming. 


This is the day that the Lord has made;

    let us rejoice and be glad in it.



Psalm 118:24 (English Standard Version)


I want this Christmas to be a time of celebration-a time of joy and giving and receiving.
AND..all I want this year is for YOU to help my friends at Mission Without Borders.

I was blessed to be able to visit Moldova in 2010 and see their work firsthand.  This year they have set up an online "shop" where the gifts are for others- the needy mothers, families, children, and elderly they serve in Eastern Europe.  Prices vary from $15 for a Bible correspondence course to $96 for a pig - which will provide income (and food) for years!



I want 2013 to be a year of more giving in my life.  Not just finances but every area of my life.  The Christian year starts with Advent- Christmas- so why not jump-start 2013 with gifts that will benefit the least of these- needy families and children.  Maybe you could join me and sponsor a child for just $25 a month or co-sponsor a needy family for $25-$100 a month.  What ever you can do, do it with joy knowing that the Lord loves a cheerful giver!
Washer and dryers purchased by Mission Without Borders for my sponsored child's home


All I want for Christmas is to know that a family in Moldova (or Ukraine or Albania- the need is great!) has a brighter, more sustainable future- has learned about the love of Christ- is studying to learn more about Christ.  All of this is possible through gifts to Mission Without Borders.



 Specific gifts for "purchase" are located on their website.


Enjoy the Christmas music player located to the right!  You only get to listen to Christmas music 2 (maybe 3) months of the year so make the most of it!





12 comments:

Unknown said...

My husband and I to charities, not only this time of year, but all year round.

Unknown said...

Every year for all of my 35 years my grandparents have put on a family get together on Christmas eve. Over the past couple of years they have become wheelchair bound and I am now their caregiver. I will be organizing all of our holiday meals this year cooking, purchasing the food and the most important part the clean up . I am doing it because I love my family and want us all together on the holidays.

Angie B said...

I always take my boys for a special shopping trip day at Christmas. They know they will not be getting anything for themselves. The trip is to buy toys to donate to our local police toy drive to donate to children in our area that would normally not have anything for Christmas. I take this time to talk to them about being appreciative of what they do have and why we should try to help others

JLT said...

That's awesome Angie! It's a lesson they'll remember throughout their lives!

Unknown said...

It's fantastic what you do. I give to animal cruelty and dog adoption programs year around. Thanks for the giveaway! :-)

Unknown said...

I would love to volunteer.

whirlofwings said...

I typically volunteer or donate to charity.

randy said...

Hi, Nice post thanks for sharing. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back.

Thanks!

Randy
randydavis387@gmail.com

rosannepm said...

In spite of numerous health problems of my own I take in my grandchildren over the holidays and cook, give gifts, plan activities and take care of them as their parents are divorced and their mother goes back to her native country. I have such a strong bond with my grandchildren as I've had the from weeks to months at a time

Jamie Leigh Martin said...

Not sure yet..

Andrew L. said...

We donate to Toys 4 Tots

slehan said...

I volunteer at the food bank.
Merry Christmas.
Thanks for the contest.