Friday, January 18, 2013

How I Save With The Wonder Washer!

Saving money is never easy.  There are only two options- cut expenses or increase your income!  I am always looking for ways to tweak my budget and give myself a "virtual raise".  One way is monetizing this website with ads.  Yes I'd love to be ad free but the small income these ads produce contribute to my emergency fund!  Secondly, I am an Amazon associate.  This means that when you purchase anything from Amazon through my blog I get a small percentage.  This also is contributing to my emergency fund.

One way that I have hound to tweak my budget is my avoiding the laundromat!  Easy enough if you have a washer and dryer.  But I have neither!  Well, not in the traditional sense.  Last August I purchased a small washer/agitator called the Wonder Washer from Amazon.  It has a small removable tub that you can fill with 1-2 shirts or a pair of pants at a time.  Fill the tub with warm water, a small amount of detergent,and set it on the stand.  The automatic timer can be turned on to agitate for 15 minutes.  Then drain the tub (the lid has drainage holes), rinse and wring dry.  Air drying typically takes me 8-16 hours.


It's that simple!  I washed 4 small loads of laundry this morning- enough to last until next Wednesday- and didn't spend the weekly $10 at the laundromat.  This can add up to $30-$40 savings a month!  I will often wash clothes 3-4 times a week and only keep towels/blankets in the laundry basket for a monthly (or bi-monthly) visit to the laundromat.

Is it simple?  Yes!  Is it easy?  Yes and no.  It's not difficult but it does require that you stay caught up with laundry.  I try to never have more than 2-4 loads piled up as dirty clothes.  The clothes aren't as soft as coming warm from the dryer (I might try rinsing in fabric softener sometime before air drying).  But clothes will last longer not being subjected to the harsh heat of an industrial dryer at the laundromat.

How have you tweaked your budget?  Would you ever consider a Wonder Washer?  I can tell you that I was skeptical at first but that it pays for itself within a couple of months! It has been a blessing when money is tight to be able to skip the laundromat and get clean clothes at home!
















16 comments:

Susan Broughton said...

I save by watching what I buy and stay on a budget

Jenn Hiles said...

I save by drying my clothes on the line during the spring/summer.

Bella said...

I the summer I never use my dryer I hang all my cloths on the line.Thank you.

Ashley N. said...

By putting my money away and not having it all in my purse!

sohamolina said...

by using coupons

Jill Myrick (jsc123) said...

We buy in bulk and divide, especially meats to save money.

jweezie43[at]gmail[dot]com

Rachel said...

I save buy using coupons and planning meals around sales

Erica Chao said...

I use coupons regularly to save on everyday purchases for things we need in the house.

susan glazer said...

i pay my bills and whatever is left over, i use for fun and savings.

Unknown said...

I save money by using coupons!!

Denise Taylor-Dennis said...

I save money by using coupons and playing the drug store game.

Denise Taylor-Dennis said...

Thankfully my days of going to the laundry mat are over but I did this for a long time. Back then I would have considered this.

Melissa Mazzur said...

I save by using coupons!

Natalie Parvis-Nichols said...

I save by not using cable, by never going out to eat (I mean NEVER, not even fast food), reusing, making my own detergents, buying the sales and using coupons. We also never get to go anywhere to do anything unless it is completely free.

Allyson Bossie said...

We only eat out (usually a diner) once a month or less. I also hang my clothes on the line, unplug everything but the fridge and freezer when not in use (this saves a LOT if you follow your bill), Take my trash to the dump and my recyclables to the center myself forgoing a pick up service. We raise free range organic chickens for eggs which saves a lot and we grow two big gardens every year for the produce that can be preserved and enjoyed year round. I could keep going on how we save money but we do many things to save money for sure!
masugr at yahoo dot com

Sherri L said...

Using lots of coupons, staying on a tight budget, and cooking most meals at home