Saturday, September 21, 2013

The #SNAP Challenge Day 3




Well how did I do?
Morning:

1 banana                                                 22 cents      105 calories
Emerald Breakfast on the Go pack            FREE          180 calories
16 ounces skim milk                                36 cents      180 calories

This afternoon I got up and made pasta and sandwiches for this weekend.  Sundays/Mondays are always rough and I need to be prepared as I cannot rely on a pizza delivery tomorrow night..even though it would be FREE. That wouldn't be fair to the challenge.  So I'm packing a 3-5 lunch(es) bag for this weekend.

Tonight I ate



  • yogurt                  80   calories          40 cents
  • 1/2 bag frozen veggies 120 calories        65 cents 
  • pitcher of tea 6 cents
  • hardboiled egg                                                  70 calories           16 cents
  • 2 baked potatoes                                     76 cents       550 calories
  • lots of margarine                                      n/a                who knows
  • 1 banana                                                   22 cents       105 calories
Remarkably I WAS full before work.  Looks like I didn't plan very well today!  These calories just don't add up and that's why I'm sitting here with a growling stomach.  OK Lesson learned.  Don't think I'm starving here. I'm overweight and could use to lose a few pounds.  But I will be more careful to add up calories beforehand- even if I feel full.  But I did all right on the cost side- $2.77 for the day.  Well, I get to go home in 7 hours and will probably eat a heavier breakfast than usual.

Standing at the bus stop this evening, I ate my banana and was thinking.  Hunger is physical but it's also mental- a craving for what you don't have.  And this verse came to mind "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness for they will be filled."  If I hungered/craved/desired God half as much as I do food and drink- what kind of person would I become?  Filled with righteousness.  Purity.  Internal and external.  Sometimes hunger (physical and spiritual) can be a good thing.  It makes me realize how dependent I am and creates a deep longing to be satisfied with the only One who can meet our every need.

A little plug:  If you buy stuff on Amazon and use my links, I get a small percentage.  This money is being set aside to assist a poor family I sponsor in Moldova better their lives and move toward self- sufficiency.  Questions? G+ me.  But, seriously, I appreciate your support!



No comments: