Sunday, September 9, 2012

Reading Scripture in 2012

Can I get a show of hands of Christians who vow to read through the Bible every New Years Day? I'll raise my hand. Guilty. And how many give up- fall so far behind that the hope of "catching up" disappears- and wallow in guilt until "next year". Then the cycle repeats itself.


I have free time most nights at work (knock on wood) so this year I determined to be ambitious and tackle a 10 chapter a day program. It is promoted by a college professor, hence the title- "Professor Horner’s Bible Reading Plan". Grant Horner is a professor at the Master’s College in Southern California. This is NOT a bible study- nothing in depth- simply read Scripture daily, pray and trust God to honor His Word. For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. Hebrews 4;12 ESV 

There is an app for mobile devices available here.. 

 I like is that it is NOT dated. You simply complete "Day 1" and move on to Day 2. If you "fall behind" , you can move forward without guilt to wherever you left off. "Every year you’ll read through all the Gospels four times, the Pentateuch twice, Paul’s letters 4-5 times each, the OT wisdom literature six times, all the Psalms at least twice, all the Proverbs as well as Acts a dozen times, and all the way through the OT History and prophetic books about 1 ½ times." (Pastor Brett's blog) I am on Day 20. I fell behind during the crazy time my car died and I had dental work. So I'm about 2 weeks behind. I will attempt to get caught up a little at a time. There's still time to start! Don't let past failures keep you from trying again.

Banish the guilt and shame. Remember- there is NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. The price for our sins and failures has been paid. Go forward in confidence! If God be for us who can be against us?

 

No comments: