Sunday, September 9, 2012

Saving Money With Public Transportation!

Wow, I'm finally car free! I have to admit that I've wanted to try this for several years. I wish it didn't happen the way it did. I had hoped I would have a stockpile of cash saved for a new car and then voluntarily forgo a car. Instead I hang in the balance for a month waiting for my car to be repaired then have to abandon it mid ship when the repair costs far exceed its worth. Life never happens quite the way we plan.

Public transportation saves the U.S. the equivalent of 4.2 billion gallons of gasoline annually.


I only drove to and from work daily (approx 100 miles a week) so my savings on gas, while not significant, averages about $100 a month.  Add to this insurance ($65 a month) and oil changes and the savings add up.  




Unlimited rides on public transportation is only $42 a month!

A big plus for me is the potential savings.  By this I mean, what I might have had to spend over the next year.  I try not to worry or be anxious (remember it's a sin!) but the car was 18 years old, the exhaust pipe was rusted through, didn't start well on cold mornings- well you get the picture.



But God has a plan and that plan for me involves taking the bus.  I went to the mall this evening to take advantage of free wifi and just get out the house.  Also, bus rides (and waiting on the bus at stops) are perfect times for reading, listening to gospel filled music (Chris Tomlin and sermons are on my Kindle now), and memorizing Scripture.  I am trying to memorize Romans 8 as well.


 31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be  against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?

and

37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

from Romans 8 (ESV)

During cold mornings, I am clinging to the promises of Scripture and trying to preach the Gospel daily to myself.  Some days are easier than others but God is faithful everyday!









 

No comments: