Saturday, December 28, 2013

New Years Thoughts: Part Two


Another issue that I want to tackle in 2014 is two-fold.  Budget (controlling spending) and health.  These go together because food and eating out are still eating excessive amounts of my budget.  And eating out is also unhealthy and is leading to weight gain and other health issues down the road.

Earlier this year I experimented with the SNAP challenge.  The holidays rolled around and interefered (as they do every year) so the experiment went on hiatus.  This year I want to attempt a SNAP lifestyle.  This would be living on the SNAP budget of $22 a week (for ALL food and drinks) for a 6 month period (24 weeks).  At the end of the six months, I'll see where I'm at and go from there.


I know health involves more than just calories consumed.  It is possible to gain weight and become more unhealthy on a SNAP budget.  So I will be shopping sales and getting as much produce as I can.  No outside food will eliminate all soda from my diet (replaced with unsweetened tea)  I also am going to try to walk for 15 minutes a day starting January 1st.  This is a very small first effort but something I know is manageable.  Hopefully I can build up to 30 minutes.  But 15 is the first goal.


So what goals do you have for this new year?  Remember to make them small, bite sized, and manageable!

No comments: