Friday, October 31, 2014

Operation Christmas Love 2014



'For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me water, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' Matthew 25:35-36

It's that time of year again.  Mission Without Borders will be delivering 30,000 care packages to needy families in Eastern Europe just in time for Christmas! 

"It's hard to feed a family of five on a budget of $14 per month"

 
When I visited Moldova in 2010, I was surprised to find that food prices at the grocery store were comparable to prices in the States!  Granted this was in the capital of Chisinau, but I had a serious case of sticker shock when I was perusing the local supermarket!
 
Operation Christmas Love parcels are filled with quality food- tinned meat, pasta, flour, oil and hygiene items that a family will need.  For a typical family (like the Bulgaru's in the video above) this provides about a months worth of food and hygiene products!  It's a great way to show Christ's
love (Christian literature is included and all OCL packages are hand delivered by Christian volunteers) and give a family some "breathing space" from the cold and bitter sting of poverty.
 

Ways to help:

 
Call Mission Without Borders and make a donation!  $30 will send one care package to a needy family.  The US office number is 800-245-9191 or you can mail a donation to Mission Without Borders PO Box 6088 Camarillo CA 93011. You can give online here. Maybe your church or small group could go in together and send 3-4 boxes!
 
Help a family every month.  Family sponsors are needed in Ukraine.  Many needy Ukrainian families have weathered the recent tensions and war and need someone to come alongside them as they struggle to overcome poverty and deprivation.  You can learn more about full or partial sponsorship HERE.
 
Do you shop on Amazon?  Did you know that the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible AmazonSmile purchases?  Simply go to www.smile.amazon.com, sign in (using your existing Amazon account), and choose Mission Without Borders, Inc as your charity.  Amazon will donate .5% of all eligible purchases to Mission Without Borders!  It's that simple!

Alternative Gifts!  Give a gift in honor of someone you love this Christmas.  Rebel against consumerism this holiday and focus on the real reason for the season.  You can choose from a MotherCare parcel (for new mothers), school supplies for a year, seeds and garden tools, or even a pig!  The Shop is located HERE.  Just pick something in your price range and do something different this holiday.

 

No comments: