Saturday, January 11, 2014

#SNAP rebooted

You may remember that one of my new years resolutions was to live on a SNAP budget for 6 months.  For all practical purposes, I'm going to try to live on LESS than $20 a week for food/drinks.  I had to finish off holiday leftovers and clean out my pantry a bit but today I am starting the challenge anew.

I am writing this on Saturday but Sunday's breakfast will be 2 servings of quick cook oatmeal. At a cost of about 70 cents,this will provide  


Havregrød på vand

300 Calories
Total Fat 5g
Saturated Fat 0g0%
Carbohydrates 54g18%
Dietary Fiber 8g32%
Sugars 2g
Protein 12g
Iron 20%




and for dinner 2 servings of tater tot casserole!  I used this recipe but added a bag of mixed veggies that I had in the freezer (and left out the onion) .  Total cost of the casserole was $6.35*.  Dividing it into 4 servings makes dinner about $1.58 for 700 calories.  Lunch (or whenever I get hungry) will be peanut butter and jelly sandwich (about 50 cents).  Total for the day is $2.78.  Add a few tea bags (at a penny each) and I'm 30 cents under budget for the day.



* 1 lb ground beef 2.69
   16 oz frozen tots 1.67
   cream of mushroom soup 10.5 oz 
   99 cents
   frozen veggies $1







Monday will be a repeat.  I'll probably add a banana and orange juice from work (no cost) for a little added nutrition.



Anyhow it's a start.  I did buy a 9x13 baking pan (I had a baking dish but it was glass and broke) so I'm on the hunt for cheap casserole recipes!  If I'm going to last 6 months, I need to be creative because pasta, beans, and rice get really old, really quick.

No comments: