Sunday, January 5, 2014

52 Books in 52 Weeks:Week One

One of my New Years Resolutions is to read through the Bible this year.  Last year I faltered but I'm going back to a plan that worked in 2012.  By reading 10 chapters a day, I taste a bit of history, a bit of the psalter, and (importantly) the Gospel everyday.  I started a little early (why wait until January 1st to start reading the Bible?) so I'm on day 10 today.







Another is a reading challenge- 52 books in 52 weeks.  I discovered a blog of this title and it looked like an appropriate and challenging goal.  There is a discussion group on Goodreads and I can also keep track of the books I am reading there (as well as those I'm interested in reading).  There are so many books in so many areas of interest I would like to tackle this year!  Mainly, though, I plan on focusing this challenge on gospel-centered books.  Not because I'm good- exactly the opposite!  I NEED the gospel every day in every way.  Through music (I'm listening to Chris Tomlin radio on Pandora right now), Scripture, books, friends, community group.  In every way- in every way possible- I need to be reminded of God's amazing love and grace.  Otherwise, I get sad, a little down, and become preoccupied with THIS world and my petty self centered problems.

So the first book I'm reading is exactly that- "One Way Love: Inexhaustible Grace for an Exhausted World" by Tullian Tchividjian just hammers home the reality and offensiveness of grace.  God loves me.  Period.  No conditions, no ifs, ands, or buts.  And that one way grace transforms us.  I'm almost finished- hope to finish today.  Then on to Tim Keller's Counterfeit Gods.  I've put a widget on the side of the blog to the right.  This will help keep me on track.

What MUST READ books would you recommend?  It doesn't have to be theology or even Christian.  But I'd like to know what books would you consider essential reading?  Let me know in the comments!  I read every comment and appreciate your input!




No comments: