Monday, October 10, 2016

Missions Monday: Street Mercy in Chisinau

Gara de Nord, Bucharest, Romania (5681621924)I will never forget the week I was able to spend in Moldova in 2010.  I took the night train from Bucharest to Chisinau (a 13 hour trip that I somehow convinced myself would be exciting!).  That was the longest night of my life.  I had no Kindle Fire or laptop.  Even though I had a "private compartment", it wasn't really very private.  I learned the that there is truth behind the idiom "bored to tears".  Live and learn (and never take an overnight train by yourself!)


I will always remember the old woman who was begging daily outside the hotel.  She appeared physically able.  I gave her a little money for food but she spoke Russian and was unresponsive to my pidgin Romanian.  You never know what to do in such situations.  Am I being scammed?  But what if she is truly indigent?  Should I give money?  Maybe bring some food?  Thankfully, Mission Without Borders has a Street Mercy team in Chisinau.  In partnership with a local evangelical church, a hot meal is provided 5 days a week for people who may not have anywhere else to turn.







You can read more in this Facebook post from Mission Without Borders (Canadian office).  By the way, today is Thanksgiving Day in Canada.  If you have a roof over your head and have eaten (or could have eaten) a hot meal today, you have a lot to be thankful for.  We all do.




No comments: