Sunday, February 2, 2014

Winter is here! And it's COLD!



I was away from home last weekend for 2 days. I have NEVER left my faucets dripping in my life. But I had received a letter from the rental company urging me to leave the water dripping should I be away for any extended period of time. Wind chills were in the negative teens  last weekend so I thought it would be better to be safe than sorry.

When I got home on Tuesday afternoon, the apartment was chilly.  This was normal because I do turn the thermostat down to 65 when I leave.  I turned up the thermostat and started to get ready for community group from church.  I looked again and the actual temp in the house was all the way to the left (around 50) and my furnace was NOT kicking on.  The furnace was bad.



I called the apartment managers and at first I was told they would replace the entire furnace- TOMORROW.  But they would send someone out to see if they could patch it for tonight.
Fortunately, it was just one part that was fried.  It was replaced in 5 minutes and I HAD HEAT!



Operation Winter Rescue Ukraine 2012 from MWBI on Vimeo.

There are many in Eastern Europe who don't have central heat though.  What they do have are wood or concrete stoves  that simply can't keep drafty houses warm in the bitter cold weather.  Operation Winter Rescue is a program designed to help alleviate the suffering of people and families during these cold months.  Families are given warm clothes, hats, gloves, boots, and firewood- all tailored to a family's needs.  I am so thankful the family I help support in Moldova were able to receive help from OWR!

As much as I like to complain about the cold,  I do have a warm apartment to come home to.  This winter, maybe you are able to help those who don't!  If you have been blessed, turn around and be a blessing to others- especially to children and those who can never repay you.

No comments: