Friday, July 26, 2013

Names

The royal baby has been born and named to boot!  George Alexander Louis- George for his great-great-grandfather (who led England in her darkest hour), Alexander for his great-grandmother (the queen's middle name is Alexandra) and Louis.  Louis was the first name of Lord Mountbatten, uncle of George's great-grandfather Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.  I hope he can live up to this name.

I've been reading in I Samuel and finished it tonight.  And I've been thinking about names.  Nowadays, people name babies based on how a name rolls off the tongue or its uniqueness.  But in Biblical times, names were often an extension of ones character.  And so I read of Nabal, which means despicable act or fool, who true to his name played the fool.  David's roving warriors had protected his (and others) sheep from raiders.  Then David asks for provisions (a reasonable request) and Nabal refuses and sends back insults in addition to his refusal.  David loses his temper and takes 400 of his warriors and plans on killing every male in Nabal's household until he is stopped by the wise (and much more cool headed) Abigail.  

I've always felt a bit sorry for some of the people in the Bible.  I don't know if Nabal did other foolish things in his life (he probably did) but it's kind of sad that you have been recorded in posterity and known by all for your one foolish act or sin.  Nabal lived up to his name as a fool.  

I call myself a Christian, a follower of Christ.  Do I live up to my name? 


No comments: