Sunday, May 22, 2016

Letter from Albania

One word can describe the last few months:  work.  And more work,  And sleep.  Then back to work.

Needless to say, I have not been very diligent in the upkeep of this blog

In my defense, I am not working without purpose.  I plan on paying off all credit cards by next year.  Then I hope to go visit K (my World Vision child) in Albania.  This could be as simple as a 4-5 day trip to Albania alone OR add 1-2 weeks and revisit Romania, Moldova, and overnight layover in Vienna or Amsterdam.  It will be awesome.


One of the fun aspects of child sponsorship is learning about other cultures and peoples.  I got a letter from K last week telling me what he's been up to lately.  On March 14th, Albanians celebrated "Summer Day" ("Dita e VerĂ«s").  Dating back to pagan practices, it is a public holiday celebrating the leaving behind of cold weather and welcoming the warmth of summer.







One special treat made for Summer Day is ballokume, a sweet oversized cookie made with corn flour and sugar.  You can find a recipe here!   K said it is yummy and wished I could be there to try it.  Someday I hope to!


No comments: