Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Rejoice in the midst of suffering





St. Isaac of Syria


Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.”
Romans 12:15



Tonight's community group was a party.  This evening was a blast.  Friends gathered and had a grill out/potluck on a cold, crisp autumn evening.  After a dinner of hamburgers, hot dogs, and strawberries with whipped cream ( the best thing I've eaten in a long time!), we stood outside around the obligatory bonfire and roasted marshmallows.

Sounds like a fun evening.  It was.  Perhaps it was circumstantial, perhaps the wickedness of my own heart was making itself known- I'm not sure.  But in the midst of joyful, God honoring conversation, I felt a deep sadness.  I was unable to rejoice with others in their tales of love, life, friendship.  Mostly love.  We laughed at bad date stories (many to tell), tales of how couples met, fell in love, and married.

Lord, help me to rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep.  Help me to find pleasure in others happiness and find satisfaction in You and what You have done in my life.  Help me to count my blessings and find joy in what I have more than  I consider what I don't have/cannot have.


Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep: such is the sign of purity. -St. Isaac of Syria








Your Ad Here

No comments: