Sunday, September 9, 2012

Giving Families Tools to be Self Sufficient




This was posted a couple of days ago on YouTube and it brought a smile to my face.  When I visited Moldova last year, I discovered a unique people and culture marred by a tumultuous history of war.  Yet the people I met were optimistic, hard working people who hoped for a better future.  Mission Without Borders is helping families  become self sufficient through the Family sponsorship program.  Donors are able to provide special needs for their sponsored families (in this case greenhouses).  My family needed tools.  They don't ask for a handout- they want tools so they can work to provide for themselves- becoming self sufficient (and raising the standard of living for all Moldovans).  In the case of this video, larger and earlier harvests will provide a livable income for one family and benefit the entire community with fresh food in abundance.

Personally, watching these stories makes me more determined than ever to become and stay debt free.  The road is long and I can't see very far ahead but I long for the day when, when someone in Moldova needs a set of tools, I can write the check and be generous.  I am trying to schedule financial counseling through my church next week.


No comments: